Almost unbearable hotness, beading drop of sweat, unique regenerating – this is sauna. Prevention and cure at the same time.
History of sauna
Despite public belief, sauna is not a Finnish invention; it was first used by Central-American Indians, by the Mayas and the Incas. Priests of the tribes cured their patients with sweating, but people used this special bath – built of clay brick – for physical training. They created the steam by sprinkling the stone, brought to the red heat on a bonfire, with cold water. This thermogenic technique was discovered in Europe also.
In the twentieth century, the Olympic movement helped the further spreading of sauna. On the Olympic games of 1936, Finnish sportsmen considered sauna, as the pledge of the successful performance, so they built a sauna at their quarters. This aroused interest and doctors started to investigate the effects of sauna. On the bases of the positive results, sauna conquered whole of Europe.
It is important to know the rules of its usage though!
- Peripheral circulation is getting more intense
- More blood circulates to the surface of the body
- Sweating starts, which leads to electrolyte loss
- The number of heart-beat can increase by 50 %
- Respiratory rate increases
- Not indicated for children
- Tumorous disease
- Untreated high blood pressure
- Intense varicosityAlcohol consumption
- State of exhaustion
- 75-90 C° for adults at head height
- 75-80 C° for elderly and beginners
- 100 C° 9%
- 75 C° 22%
Humidity can be increased by sparkling water, the ion content of the air is increasing, which calms nervous system
- 10-12 minutes, this is followed by a refreshing bath
- Repeat these phases 2-3 times
- In between rests, we retrieve the moisture content of our body with mineral water or other liquid
- We close the cure with taking warm shower
- We dry ourselves carefully
Visiting the sauna regularly has a great effect on the heart, blood circulation and skin. It helps detoxication and smoothes skin. The alternating of hot and cold temperature calms, reduces pain and decreases the rigidity of limbs.